Search
Close this search box.

Sunday, April 21, 2024

Search

Several CMCo Towns Slated to Receive State Municipal Aid Grants

1075961987

By Press Release

TRENTON – Gov. Phil Murphy and New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) Commissioner Diane Gutierrez-Scaccetti Oct. 26 announced $161.25 million in Fiscal Year 2022 Municipal Aid Grants, with 541 cities and towns across the state receiving funds to advance road, bridge, safety, and quality-of-life improvements, demonstrating the Murphy administration’s commitment to communities. 

According to a governor’s office release, the competitive Municipal Aid Grant program attracted 625 applications from 547 different municipalities, with a total of $363 million requested. Project applications were evaluated and rated on their merits by NJDOT staff and reviewed by an independent panel of New Jersey municipal engineers. This process resulted in 546 awards to 541 municipalities, totaling $161.25 million, $2,686,025 of which will be distributed to several Cape May County municipalities.  

The 2016 Transportation Trust Fund renewal has made it possible to continue to award $161.25 million annually – more than double the $78.75 million that was available before the TTF renewal. In addition, the extra funds have allowed the department to increase the number of municipalities receiving grants from about 370 a year prior to the TTF renewal to 541 municipalities this year. 

“These funds are crucial to municipalities for the completion of projects that improve quality of life and safety for New Jersey residents,” stated Murphy. “Under our administration’s leadership, the Transportation Trust Fund continues to bolster infrastructure statewide. I congratulate all municipalities that have received grants and look forward to them putting these dollars to use.” 

“The Murphy administration is committed to improving local communities by providing millions of dollars in aid to municipalities to make important safety, infrastructure, and quality-of-life improvements without burdening local property taxpayers,” stated NJDOT Commissioner Diane Gutierrez-Scaccetti. “We are pleased to award grants to nearly every municipality in New Jersey.”   

Under the Municipal Aid Grant program, each county is apportioned a share of the total funding, based on population and the number of local centerline miles. Municipalities compete for portions of their county’s share.  

NJDOT provides 75% of the grant amount when a town awards a contract and the remaining 25% upon completion of the project. Of the $161.25 million, $10 million is allotted for municipalities qualifying for Urban Aid, as defined under state law, with the amounts determined by the Department of Community Affairs (DCA).  

Applications for Municipal Aid grants were submitted to NJDOT by July 1 and have been judiciously reviewed. There are seven project categories within the Municipal Aid grant program eligible for funding: Roadway Preservation, Roadway Safety, Quality of Life, Mobility, Bikeway, Pedestrian Safety, and Bridge Preservation.  

Past performance, in connection with the timely award of projects and construction close-out factors, was part of the evaluation of the proposals. When evaluating applications, NJDOT also verifies if the municipality has adopted a Complete Streets policy.  

A Complete Streets policy establishes guidelines that require consideration be given to pedestrians and bicyclists when local transportation projects are being planned, designed, and built. 

Spout Off

Cape May County – Our world is physically sick; because we are spiritually sick.

Read More

Wildwood Crest – In the msm you won’t hear about Trump falling asleep in court today .

Read More

Dennisville – Once again, it happened. A Marlboro Memorial Middle School teacher was charged with inappropriately touching a student. Reportedly the incident occurred in plain sight in a school hallway. The…

Read More

Most Read

Print Edition

Recommended Articles

Skip to content