DENNISVILLE — In an effort to respond to the $746,739 cut in state aid, the Dennis Township school superintendent presented a budget at the March 31 public budget hearing that had negative impacts for the districts.
The presentation explained that in order to meet the challenge of the cut in aid and meet the state’s budget requirements as well as stay below the 4 percent tax cap, the budget included the following:
• Layoff of 13.2 positions coming from administration, teachers, child study team, secretaries, bus drivers and maintenance/custodians.
• Elimination of all sports programs.
• Reduction of all but one co-curricular or club program.
• Reduction of the instructional supply budget by $43,500.
• Reduction of the professional development budget by $6,500.
To support what remains in the budget there is a rise in local taxes of $27 per $100,000 of assessed value or a 2.7-cent increase.
More information about the budget can be found on the district Web site: www.dennistwpschools.org.
stay in the know