WASHINGTON – U.S. Rep. Jeff Van Drew (R-2nd) announced his stark opposition to The New Way Forward Act, sponsored by Rep. Chuy Garcia (D-IL).
According to a release, The New Way Forward Act is a piece of legislation that would demolish the current immigration system.
Currently, 44 members of Congress have cosponsored this legislation. It would allow for changes such as:
- Would decriminalize illegal entry to this country.
- Would remove certain felonies from consideration when deciding whether detainees should be allowed entry to the country.
- Would not allow for deportations for criminal aliens who have avoided detection for 5 years.
- Would prohibit State and local police from assisting ICE in the performance of its enforcement activities – even requiring a warrant from a judge just to detain an individual.
- Would provide for transport and a court hearing, with use of your tax dollars, of previously deported individuals (dating back to 1996). We would be paying to bring back potential criminals with our tax dollars.
- Would create special exceptions that would not allow for detainment of anyone under the age of 21 or over the age of 60 or even has limited English language proficiency among other exceptions.
“Extremism in any capacity must be called out, and make no mistake this bill is extreme. I will always be a voice of reason for our community, our state and our nation” stated Van Drew. “I will put the needs of the citizens of all creeds and backgrounds in our community over the needs of individuals who decide to break the law to come to our nation. I will do whatever I can do stop this horrendous legislation.”