WILDWOOD – In light of several power outages since July 7, the Greater Wildwoods Tourism Improvement and Development Authority (GWTIDA) reached out to the public, Aug. 31, to reassure visitors there will be electricity over Labor Day weekend.
GWTIDA said in a press release that Atlantic City Electric (ACE) is committed to proactively and comprehensively inspecting its electric distribution system, making every effort to prevent future power outages in the resort and restore system reliability.
In that regard, GWTIDA forwarded a list from ACE, outlining the actions ACE has taken or will take to address the cause of prior power outages and improve system reliability, including:
- Across the Wildwoods, ACE personnel are taking steps beyond recurring inspections and maintenance, to patrol and inspect distribution lines and associated energy equipment, and make any repairs as needed.
- ACE is performing periodic inspections using radio frequency equipment and infrared technology to identify any potential issues and are replacing or repairing infrastructure as needed.
- ACE is identifying opportunities to implement near-term solutions to further improve service to its residential and business customers, including installing additional reclosers that will automatically detect and isolate any issues on the energy grid, leading to faster restoration of service.
- ACE is determining longer-term solutions to upgrade power lines, including reconductoring work that will create new feeder ties and support specialized equipment that can automatically detect issues and restore service faster if an outage does occur.
- ACE is continuing to make upgrades to its electric system and investing to strengthen the local energy against extreme weather, while also installing new and more modern infrastructure and technology, which enabled ACE’s ability to restore the majority of customers faster during the Aug. 26 outage.
- Despite its proactive steps, ACE said, outages can occur beyond its control, so the company is also focusing to ensure it is providing the fastest response possible to restore if an interruption does occur.